February 4th marks National Homemade Soup Day!
Celebrate with Bison Veggie Soup
Soup is said to have been developed around 20,000 BC and since has grown 250 varieties of soups in various cuisines around the world.
You can read more about the soup and its history at: https://www.onmanorama.com/food/features/2020/06/24/soup-popular-dish-history-origin.html
|Bison Stew Meat||454g|
|Olive Oil||2 1/2 Tbsp|
|Yellow Onion (large), chopped||1 3/4 cups|
|Carrots, peeled and chopped||3 medium|
|Celery, chopped (3 stalks)||1 cup|
|Minced Garlic||4 cloves|
|Broth of your choice||8 cups|
|Canned diced tomatoes||2 cans 415ml|
|Dried Basil||1 1/2 tsp|
|Dried Oregano||1 tsp|
|Dried Thyme||1/2 tsp|
|Red or Yellow Potatoes, chopped into 3/4-inch cubes||1lb|
|Frozen Peas||1 cup|
|Fresh Parsley, chopped||1/3 cup|
- Heat 1 1/2 tsp of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Salt and Pepper bison to taste. Place in pot and brown. If needed split bison in half and repeat the browning process for the second portion.
- Transfer the bison to a separate bowl. Add 1 tsp of oil to the pot and add onion, carrots, and celery. Sautee for 3 min and then add minced garlic. Continue to sautee for another 2 min.
- Remove the meat and keep it warm. Reduce the braising liquid until thickened and desired concentration of flavours has been achieved, season to taste.
- Pour in broth, tomatoes, browned beef, basil, oregano, thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring once or twice throughout, for 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes then continue to simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Continue to simmer until all veggies are soft.
- Pour in peas and simmer until heated for about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy.