Take your tastebuds on vacation and explore the flavours of Japan from your own home. Try out this classic Ramen dish with a twist; bison!
|Diced Bison, cut into smaller bite-sized pieces if desired||454g / 1pkg|
|Salt-reduced Soy Sauce||1/4 cup|
|Oyster Sauce||2 tbsp|
|Brown Sugar||2 tbsp|
|Garlic Cloves, finely chopped||2 cloves|
|Ginger, sliced||4cm piece|
|Salt-reduced beef stock (or stock of your choice)||8 cups|
|White Miso Paste||1/4 cup|
|Shiitake Mushrooms, sliced||200g|
|Bok choy, chopped||1|
|Snow Peas, whole||10-15|
|Ramen Noodles or noodles of your choice (we used udon as seen in the image. If thicker noodle is used reduce the amount)||270g|
|Sesame Seeds||To serve|
|Coriander Sprigs||To serve|
|Sliced Red Chilli||To taste|
|Sriracha Sauce||To taste|
- In a medium saucepan add bison, 1/4 cup soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, star anise and half the stock. Bring to a boil, regularly skimming impurities off the top. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 1¼ hours or until the bison is tender and liquid is reduced and thickened.
- Drain off most of the liquid and set meat aside, covered with a lid to keep warm. If desired, shred meat once cool enough to handle
- In a large saucepan add remaining stock, 1 cup (250ml) water, miso paste, remaining soy, mushrooms, bok choy and snow peas. Heat over medium-low, covered, for 5 minutes or until bok choy and snow peas are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook eggs for 4 to 5 minutes (or until medium-soft) in a medium saucepan of simmering water. Remove and place in a bowl of cold water. Once cool enough to handle peel eggs and cut into halves.
- In the same pan of boiling water cook noodles according to packet instructions. Drain.
- Divide noodles among bowls and ladle miso soup and vegetables over the top. Add beef mixture and eggs to bowl.
- Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds, coriander, chilli and Sriracha sauce, if desired.